Powers of Lok Sabha
Important concepts from Powers of Lok Sabha
Special Powers of Lok Sabha –
- The “ No Confidence motion” can be introduced and passed only in Lok Sabha.
- This power of Lok Sabha is as per article 75 (clause 3).
- A Money Bill can be introduced only in Lok Sabha.
- In the case of Emergency, it can be revoked by the president on the recommendation of Lok Sabha Alone.
Common provisions of both houses –
- According to article 85 the president shall summon the houses in such a way that the gap between the last sitting of first session and first sitting of the next session shall not be more than 6 months.
- He shall prorogue the houses.
- He may dissolve the Lok sabha.
Sessions of lok Sabha-
Session I (Budget Session) –
- It is the longest Session ( From February to May).
- This session includes the address of the president to the cabinet.
- The Railway Budget is presented by Ministry of Railways which was separated by acworth committee in 1921. Now it has been merged with General Budget from financial year 2017-18.
- The Indian Railways is the largest employer of the World.
- The Economic Survey of India is presented before producing the General Budget.
- The General Budget is presented by the Finance Minister which is written by Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Economic Affairs.
Session II (Monsoon)-
- It occurs in the month of July- September.
Session III ( Winter) –
- This session takes place in the month of November- December.
- Sometimes on special occasion , special sessions also takes place.
- In the year 1997 50 years of Independence was celebrated so a special session took place.
Special Hours of Session
- First Hour – It takes place from 11AM – 12PM and is known as Question Hour as it is Notice Based.
- Zero Hour – The Zero hour starts from 12 noon. In this session the members of session raises the Questions of Importance. This session cannot be delayed.
- The Lok Sabha is conducted daily.
- The Rajya Sabha is run Alternatively and it is proposed Daily.
Disqualification of Members of Parliament (MPs)
- A member is disqualified if He or She is Non-Citizen.
- One should not have any non registered office of Profit otherwise the member is disqualified.
- Also a member is disqualified in case Insolvency ( Liabilities > assets)
- If a person has or developed Unsound Mind.
- If the person is charged under any other Law.