History of Indian Constitution I
Here are some Important acts from the “History of Indian Constitution I”
- This act was an important act as it introduced an open competition for selection of services.(Indian Civil Services ).
- Indians were also open to this system and they could also sit for the exam.
- The committee associated with the introduction of civil services was Macaulay committee which was appointed in year 1854.
- The first Indian to join Civil services was Satyendra Nath Tagore.
- This act also created Legislative council which was known as Mini parliament.
Government of India Act -1858
- This act marked the end of “East India Company” .Also this act was known as act of good governance.
- This act was implemented after the sepoy mutiny which lead to many changes.
- The Government of India Act abolished the East India Company.
Indian Council Act of 1861
- This act restored the powers of Bengal and Bombay Presidencies.
- In the Year 1862, The Legislative council of Bengal was created.
- In year 1897 the Legislative council of Punjab was also created
- This act gave green signal to portfolio system introduced by Lord Canning in 1859.
Indian Council Act of 1892
According to this act some non- official members were also nominated to legislative council.
Also this act empowered the legislative council with the power of discussing budget and asking questions to executive.
Indian Council Act -1909 ( Morley – Minto Reforms)
In 1909 Minto was viceroy and Morley was then secretary of state.
The strength of the legislative council was increased by this act and the members were allowed to pass various resolutions on major topics like Budget, foreign affairs, armed forces and indian states.
This act also let Indians to participate or get associated with Executive council of Viceroys and governors.The First person( Indian) to join viceroy’s council of India was Satyendra Prasad Sinha.
A concept of Separate electorate was also introduced which marked the first sign of communal division of Hindus and Muslims.
Under “ Separate Electorate” Only Muslim voters can vote to Muslims members.
So This act of 1909 legalised communalism and Minto was regarded as the “Father of Communal electorate”.
Keep in regular touch of post for further touch.