comptroller and auditor general of india
Important Questions based on Comptroller and Auditor General of India
Q- Who acts as the Guardian of the Public Purse?
a) Supreme Court Judge
Q- Who is the Present Comptroller and Auditor General of India?
a) TS Thakur
b) Shashi kant Sharma
c) Vinod Rai
d) Murali Manohar Joshi
Q- The Provision of functions of CAG is given in which article?
a) Article 147
b) Article 149
c) Article 150
d) Article 153
Comptroller and Auditor General of India
a) According to this Article-There shall be a Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAGI) appointed by the President and may be removed on Like Grounds and in the Like manner as a Judge of Supreme Court is removed.
b) The Comptroller and Auditor General of India removal is difficult and is removed by the method of Impeachment.
c) The Tenure is 6 years or till 65 years.
d) He or She may resign to the President.
e) After retirement of CAG , he shall not hold any post under the Govt.(s) ( Both the Government).
f) The Functions are : To Audit all accounts of the Governments ( State and Union Government) and their agencies and make reports .
g) The reports made by the CAG are submitted to Governor or The President.
h) Furthermore, the reports are put forward of legislatures for discuss and review purposes.
Reports given by the CAG are examined by the Oldest committee called Public account Committee (PAC) and the committee can act accordingly.
Special points about CAG
- The CAG acts as the Watchdog of the Indian Public Finances.
- The CAG also acts as the Agent of the Parliament.
- The CAG is known as the Guardian of Government Money or Public Purse ( Public Money).
- There are four bodies who are considered as the Defensive wall of the Indian Democratic System – Supreme Court, Election Commission of India, Union Public Service Commision and Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
Special Functions of CAG-
- The provision of the functions of CAG is given in
- He can check feasibilty of Financial Transactions.
- He acts as a Friend, Philosopher and Guide of PAC.
- The Present CAG is Shashikant Sharma who was appointed on 23rd May 2013.
- The CAG Audits accounts only when Requested by the President or Governor.