Direct and Indirect Speech 1
Important Grammar rules from Direct and Indirect Speech 1
- Narration refers to description of connected events or a story.
- Narration comprises of Direct and Indirect Speech.
- When the words are reported in “actual way”, it is called direct speech.
- In direct speech the actual words are quoted in inverted commas.
For instance- Tushar says, “I play Table Tennis. ”
Here, ‘says’ is a reporting verb whereas ‘I play Table Tennis’ is a reported speech.
Hence, in Direct Speech original words are quoted.
- When the words are modified and reported according to pronoun and with respect to the narrator, It is called Indirect speech.
- The inverted commas are not used in Indirect speech.
- For instance- Tushar says that he plays Table Tennis.
Let us observe the use of Narration in different kind of sentences. The First case will be of Assertive sentences-
Assertive sentences or Simple statement sentences –
Those sentences which are in the form of “simple statements” or “facts” are called assertive sentences.
- Direct Speech – Tushar says, “ I work hard.”
- Indirect Speech – Tushar says that he works hard.
- Direct Speech – Virat Kohli says, “ I play according to the ball.”
- Indirect Speech– Virat Kohli says that he plays according to the ball.
- Direct Speech – She says to me, “ You Work hard.”
- Indirect Speech – She tells me that I work hard.
- Direct Speech – Jitesh Says to me , “ She works hard.”
- Indirect Speech– Jitesh tells me that she works hard.
- Direct Speech – Shalu said , “ There are eight planets in solar system.”
- Indirect Speech– Shalu Said that there are eight planets in solar system.
- Direct Speech – Sumit said to me , “ I am a good dancer.”
- Indirect Speech– Sumit told me that he was a good dancer.
- Direct Speech – Deepak said, “ I came here yesterday.”
- Indirect Speech – Deepak Said that he had come there the previous day.
- Direct Speech – Tushar said, “ Only three persons are running academy”
- Indirect Speech – Tushar said that only three persons were running academy.
Furthermore , the remaining rules are discussed in in the next post- Direct and Indirect speech 2.
Best of Luck for Exams!!